I successfully recruited one of my buddies to come over to the house and try a game of 40K. I put together a small force of marines for him and a guard army for me. The battle would be seize ground, with the variation that any infantry unit could hold an objective. Here is the breakdown:
- Space Marine Captain with Power Sword and Artificer Armor
- Command Squad with the following equipment: 1 Plasma Pistol, 1 Pair of Lightning Claws, 1 Power Sword,Company Champion, and Apothecary
- 10 Man Tactical Squad with Plasma Gun and Heavy Bolter
- 3 Space Marine Bikers with a Melta Gun
- Company Command Squad with Autocannon
- Platoon Command Squad with Missile Launcher and 2 Plasma Guns
- 2 Squads with Heavy Bolter and a Power Sword on the Sergeants
- Veteran Squad with 3 Plasma Guns in a Chimera
- 2 Armored Sentinels with Autocannon and Plasma Cannon
I made two big mistakes. For some reason I put the Missile Launcher and Plasma Guns in a standard platoon command squad. They should have been my Company Command Squad where these weapons would have benefited from the improved BS. As it was, the Company Command Squad was pretty useless as the marines got their normal save from the autocannon hits and the junior officer could not force the marines to reroll cover saves from the plasma.
Mistake number two was keeping the chimera in reserve. He would have been better off shooting all weapons from round one and pushing into enemy territory to try and contest that objective. The delay to round four because of lousy reserve rolls was punishing.
A good fun game. 600 points is all right by me.